Situated on the left bank of the river Tanaro, in the province of Cuneo, halfway between Alba and Asti, Govone belongs to the Roero area, on the border with the Monferrato and the Langhe hills.
The village has about 2,000 inhabitants and is located on a 301 metre-high hill. It includes six hamlets (S.Pietro, Canove, Traviano, Trinità, Montaldo, Piana) stretching on the nearby hills and the plain, along the Tanaro. The economy of the village is essentially based on agriculture: characteristic vines produce excellent wines such as Barbera, Bonarda, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, Arneis.
The history and the social evolution of Govone a lively community rich in initiatives, has always been linked to its castle.
Some documents from the Historical Archives of Govone, dated 1764 and 1772, related to the map of the most important roads of this area, show also the road that from St. Peter led to Priocca through Rio Vaneschia. At the State Archives of Turin there is also a drawing that confirms the presence of this road, that from Turin led to Govone, through Pralormo, Canale and Priocca.
Between 1819 and 1820, King Charles Felix of Savoy, having chosen Govone Castle as his summer home, but he often complained about the journey from Turin to Govone, through Priocca, since he had to cross a river (probably rio Vaneschia). Between 1823 and 1824, to avoid pulling the carriage with two oxen, the king ordered the construction of a bridge in the Vaneschia region: the King’s Bridge.